Thursday, July 14, 2005

Olders and Youngers

There is an obvious distance in the lives of many olders and youngers who are Christ followers. Some of this is just age, some of this is culture and some of it is sin. There are very few olders who are taking the initiative to really "teach faithful men" who will pass the message of the gospel on to other faithful men. At the same time there is much cynicsm coming from youngers, which, to be honest seems to lack kindness and self-control that mark the fruits of the Spirit. Yes, there is a time for confrontation, yes there is time where rebuke is the most loving thing to give, but I'm afraid we justify slander all too often through this.

This from Christi Avant in Baptist Press news, she helps a church in NYC, funded by SBC churches, to reach out to the artistic community there.

β€œI have caught a dangerous trend arising in my generation, which "loves Christ but not the church."

Not all of this is our fault. We are crying out for our elders to step back and allow us to step up. We are crying out for them to fund relevant college ministries even though most of us cannot drop as much as they can in the offering plate.

However, we are crying out immaturely, like a 2-year-old throwing a tantrum in a grocery store.

Abandoning or "taking a break from" church is neither the right thing to do, nor is it any kind of solution to the problem.”

We need more stories like that of Rick at our church who joined a band just to get involved with younger's lives. Or of a group of men who meet weekly with a bunch of guys. This kind of relationship is all too often lacking, in our church and probably most others. We need the youngers to sit and converse with these olders also. I need to.

Here is a really interesting article that Barna put out about "passing the baton." It's a really interesting read.

Then go and listen to Noel's Message on this topic.

8 Comments:

Blogger Molly D said...

SO true and such a good point, Dan. I've been feeling this too. I'm really thankful that our church seems to have a lot of older people with a real vision for the next generation and thye put that vision into action. It isn't an easy thing, but it is vital. Great thoughts.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amen, bro. Good post.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I'll agree we are like immature 2 year olds, but without the lead and wisdom of the elder generation, we have nothing to live up to.

I'm not saying that only one side is to blame, we both are. I just don't see a way to create these relationships and break the age barrier our culture has created. Am I saying it's too late? No way.

You stated a problem, now if you've got a solution, I'd be glad to hear it.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

I think the solution is both the olders and youngers taking steps to building relationships and respecting/learning from each other. I think the two examples of guys in our church who are doing that is what needs to happen more.

4:30 PM  
Blogger The Professor said...

I am lucky I guess. I have had several olders (two in particular)who have helped me along the way. Instructed me, shown me discipleship, and helped me grow in my faith. If more olders took that time with just one newbie, and showed them the loving discipline Christ asks of us...then this great divide in Christian "age gap" would create more sound younger Christians. Likewise, the newbies need to take the wisdom of an older to heart. While the times my have changed...God is unchanging!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://kurtdamron.com/?p=44 This was a post I did on my blog a few weeks ago. I read another post that asked the question β€œIs it legitimately possible to love Jesus and hold contempt for His bride?” This discussion was brought on by a recent article in Relevant Magazine regarding Moby's comment that he loved God, but not the church. Check out my post, with links, in order, to the other posts. It is interesting to see what people think about the church these days. There are so many different opinions and perspectives.

I agree, that it would be neat if we 20, and some 30 somethings, could get together with some older men and just hang out. Why does that usually not work out? What are the differences there that keep these meetings from taking place?

11:02 PM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

good questions kurt.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I think it is a cultural thing, just like it is cultural to have the hypocrisies and lies all bunched into a neat category called the church. We wouldn't be at church if we didn't think we needed to be there.

If it were possible to have a willing party of elders to sit around and chat, I'm willing to hear their lives and what I have left to learn. However I just don't see this as a formal, Let's get the old and new together day" You know? There is a lot of tension there, for the older ones, us being inconsiderate and immature, and for the youngers, them being stuffy and condensending. I think this is a battle that has been going on for centuries, that has only gotten worse with our now culture; we expect relationships to happen just that instantly.

The benefits are amazing when the youngers and elders get together, I know this for fact. But somehow I can't see myself jumping into a group of older people, talking and making a difference. Creating relationships. And for them to be substantial in my life. Until more realize it is a problem, then people won't strive to do anything about it.

And quite frankly, I think people think that there are more important things to be solved than this, and there lies the problem.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home