Monday, February 27, 2006

A comment on comments


I'm sitting here laughing out loud reading responses to this weeks music. Most people seemed to really enjoy it for a change. I got some very encouraging notes from "Loved the music!!" to "Do the Folk thing again soon!" And then a couple anonymous "I hated the music tonight" notes. It's amazing how opposite ends people are always on. It's funny how most criticism is anonymous about music. Interesting. Well, Noel had a great post about criticism and he basically groups people into three categories: Bereans, Encouragers, and Cowards. What separates the Bereans and the Cowards, I would say, is their heart, their tone, and their attitude. Good stuff to think about. Read his whole post.

It's interesting being in a position where I hear positive and negative criticism almost every week. It can be really distracting either way, either pride can creep in when we are praised for doing a good job or insecurities tear at us when we are slandered. This comes when too much personal value is connected to our task. But it is complicated because we are leading people in corporate worship because of God and for God, but we are also serving the body, it isn't just us up there singing our praises to God, it's that plus the act of leading others in their praise of God. It gets tricky because you want to make music in which people will become mindful of God and it's easier for some people to connect with God using different kinds of music. I'm sure some monks in Germany, genuinely feel like they are able to think heavenward during a chant, whereas it's easier for me to hear a guitar solo and think of God.

One thing I hear sometimes from people is "we went to another church on vacation and their music was sooooo slooowwww..." or "they had no young people there..." but this is the same type of thing is going on. These words meant to encourage are sometimes slaps on the face to another group of Christians. We are needlessly criticising our brothers and sisters who are trying to serve God in a different way. It all adds up to elitism and that takes away from the Gospel and from God, because in the end, God gets the glory. He's the one who deserves it.

There is a really good thing about encouragement if it is done right. It's understanding "God is using you" rather than, "you are better than some other people." It's hard to tell the difference, but I know when my heart is wrong on this. I see the way God is working in something that I'm not a part of and sometimes I feel like "man, that's a dumb way to go about things etc..." But the cool thing about God is that he is the one working, not us. And he loves those people and he loves that they are responding to him. Sometimes we get lucky and he uses us to do great things, but when we see him face to face, He gets the glory.


But It's a crazy tension we have here. I think we all face situations where we either get too much affirmation or not enough and that affects us. We should always strive for balence and do thinks "as unto the Lord." Our goal in everything we do should be to please God. That means everything. Treating our families well, doing the dishes well, not gossiping about our boss, working even when we aren't being watched. Things change when God is your boss.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan Price said...

Great point. I totally agree!

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not one for folkey/country music, but I found myself appreciating what was going on anyway. I think variety is good in this aspect of worship, it helps people stay flexible and honest about why they are there.

-Nate

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, I was in Michigan this weekend and thought I would call you and see if i could visit for a little, but both your old numbers didn't work. Now, i would expect that after all this time you would actually get a cell with michigan area code, but i recall a long time ago that you said you still had your old numbers. Too bad. I was hoping to see you guys.
Kelly Connor

1:19 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dan,

My wife and I both agreed that BlueGrass was not us, but that did not hinder our worship. I honestly appreciated seeing and enjoying the multidemensional approach to worship...

Just noticing as well, how many other times has the crowd (at least 75%) started clapping without being spurred on by a singer... They did in the 10 o'clock...to blue grass...

If your neigh sayers are worshiping with their ears, they ought to consider looking into that...

-Mike

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,

The music must have been terrible because my father (who was visiting) really enjoyed it.

Just kidding about the terrible part.

Clint

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking with another girl at Riverview on Sunday after the service. She and I both really enjoyed the service, not perhaps because bluegrass/folk is our favorite. But it reminded us of family and friends in our past who cherished many of those songs. It reminded us of their walks with Christ which encouraged us both.

I was really suprised when Joel told me how much criticism you guys get weekly. If you ever need some encourage, I've always got some available ... well, ok most of the time, every once and a while I have to cynical.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home