Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Grey Wednesday

Well, I have some time to blog right now, so here you go.

I woke up this morning, Jaden was awake and wanted out of his crib. Suzanne had left for work and Melissa was leaving for work at Starbucks (oh, and she's our new sister who is living in our basement). I got the kid ready for the day, did some reading while he played. Then I walked across the street, Tricia and the kids were over there unpacking. They are officially moving in tonight. Exciting. Jaden smiles so much when he's around those kids. Tricia offered to take him over to her house for the day, so I'm just getting the house ready for poker tonight.

I went out to get some snacks and beer and the lady at the register told me "you don't look old enough to buy this stuff, but you probably hear that all the time."

Yup. I've been hearing it for six years. But it has been less frequent in the past couple years. Getting older is weird. I was just thinking today that Jaden will be sixteen in the year 2020. 2020, still seems like the space age compared to my childhood of the 80's. Crazy. I don't feel very old, I just feel like I have a lot more experience than I did a few years ago. Feels like the last five years have just been one very long drawn out year. So what is it with growing older? What are we afraid of? Dying? I'm not afraid of being dead. I'm not looking forward to the actual dying part of it all, but that's not what's really on my mind. I just keep seeing these 21 year old kids around me with all these dreams and I really hope they acomplish them.

I guess what I am afraid of is missing chances.

Chances for what?

It changes all the time. And I guess that's a good thing as long as it doesn't make you static. It makes you evaluate your life. What's your purpose? How are you helping people? How are you living in a more truthful/beautiful/thoughtful way? I just watched Magnolia again last week. I love the line when Claudia says: "I'll tell you everything, and you tell me everything. And maybe we can get through the piss, shit, and lies that kill other people." So many people are tied to their past and can't seem to change. That's what I like about Jesus. He's given us a chance here to have new life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Harden said...

I'm still hung up on the "and then I walked across the street...".. Seriously, do you understand how much that rules? To have your childcare provider, across the street...You three really lucked out.

About this missing chances business... ( I had something really profound to say, and I just forgot it.) Anyway, Kalli just learned tonight how to feed herself spaghetti from a spoon. It was messy and quite possibly one of the greatest moments in history. Life is big sometimes. If you remember to look around, I can't see how you can miss a chance, or a moment. Life is about noticing more than spaghetti stains on a white Gymboree shirt. It's about living your dream. Noticing the small (big) things in everyday life. Making a difference in someone else's...

Maybe I just completly missed your point. But, here's my 2 cents anyway... Blessings.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes it hard to forget your past and walk away from it

9:47 PM  
Blogger yack said...

Two comments, Dan.
First, I just updated my blog with what turned into another tribute to your Dad.

Second, it is kinda' funny, but my daughter's blog was just talking about time flying... - and yes, my baby will be 16 in about a month - so my parental advice to you is: Enjoy EVERY phase of life. You don't get any of them back!

I appreciate what you have to share. Oh, and once again, we are doing "Your Ways" again this week for worship at Grace Summit!

Press ON! Jeff

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home