Monday, October 17, 2005

Art

This is a great quote from Rob Bell's book.

"It is possible for music to be labeled Christian and be terrible music. It could lack creativity and inspiration. The lyrics could be recycled cliches. That "Christian" band could actually be giving Jesus a bad name becuase they aren't a great band. It is possible for a movie to be a "Christian" movie and to be a terrible movie. It may actually desecrate the art form in its quality and storytelling and craft. Just becuase it is a Christian book by a Christian author and it was purchased in a Christian bookstore doesn't mean it is all true or good or beautiful. A Christian political group puts me in an awkward position: What if I disagree with them? Am I less of a Christian? What if I am convinced the "Christian" thing to do is to vote the exat opposite?

Christian is a great noun and a poor adjective."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last part is the best: Christian is a great noun and a poor adjective. Was that you or Rob? Either way, right on.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dan price,
how are you? life here is good. i was thinking of you all, it's good to read a bit about the lives of my friends. jaden is so cute. have a lovely night.

11:08 PM  
Blogger jimmy said...

right on...

11:50 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

I wholeheartedly agree. I love the "great noun/poor adjective" thing. I'll have to remember that.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading this when I read the book, and everytime I talk about this type of thing, I always want to just quote this. It is one of those feelings I get that I never knew how to express. Like feeling awkward for rejecting something with a christian label on it. Then I start to think that the whole idea behind labeling something (or everything) christian is that christians feel weird when they don't like something with their name on it. What I never understood was why the label was their in the first place. As if every faith group should label everything they ever made with their name in front of it. the music I make isn't anymore christian than the poems I write, or the way I tie my shoes for that matter. Everything I do could be labeled "christian" because my whole life is worship. This may be way off, but I am just typing my thoughts.
-Jer

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home