Monday, October 11, 2004

wilco

Ok, Wilco is the best band playing right now. I had high expectations for this show, really high. And they went way beyond them. They opened slowly, but dramatically with "Poor Places" into "Reservations" before crashing into "At Least that's what you said" Neil Young guitar solo's and all. The band'd dynamics were just amazing, perfect timing together, from rock guitar trio noise solos to Jeff Tweedy's whisper, it was seemless. There were also visual effects that were really good. They had someone VJing aka Kite. All I have to say is that if you ever get the chance to see them, do it. Chuck went into this blind without having heard them and was impressed. I think I've made a true believer out of Brad and Suz and I aren't Wilco Virgins anymore.

4 Comments:

Blogger Trev Diesel said...

I myself am a Wilco Virgin. If I were to, say, pick up a Wilco album in order to comprehend the glory and greatness of which you speak, which one should I get?

10:32 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

I think their best album is "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" I would start with that or "Summerteeth." YHF is weirder, but worth it when you listen to it a few times. Summerteeth is more pop. Wilco in general used to be an alt-country band, but now I would say that they are experimental pop-rock. They have great melodies and songs, but then mess with them as much as they can without losing the song.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

You know what? I'm listening to "A Ghost is Born" (Wilco's new on) and it is unbelievable also. So yeah.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEING THERE is far from their best, even Tweedy has implied as much when he described it as huge and sprawling. Summershine is also a bit clunky in my opinion, not seamless. Depending on what you like, go with AM or YHF. Jay Farrar and Son Volt's work is probably a bit more consistent across the board. That doesn't mean it is the most interesting or original though.....

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home