Thursday, September 08, 2005

Repent of Your Emails

Ok, I've received about three emails and read about ten articles/blogs by Christians who are calling Katrina God's curse on New Orleans. Stop it right now! You are no better than anyone else. God's favor alone is what has given you life, both here and eternally, it is nothing that you have done. Do not bring your piety to the table that needs bread and water and all kind of charity. Yes, there have been times when God has chosen to pour out his justice on a city (this is what we ALL deserve), but like Steve told me, there is nothing in scripture that prophetically forewarned us of New Orleans. How do we decided what tragedies are punishments and what tragedies are just part of life? Are the Christians in Sudan (who are being raped and murdered) being punished because of their sins? Are we being punished because of our gluttony, our gossip, our materialism? Do not bring your piety to the table of children that need bread and water and charity.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one has commented yet, but I like what you are saying. Thanks for being bold.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Hanna Sojourn said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Thankfully over here in Austria I don't here much of the American Christianity gossip. I feel for you in hearing as much as you do. It seems to me that most of those staking the postion that God is "judging" the world needs to see more of the world. Just a simple suggestion for a complex issue.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Patricia said...

I am an evacuee of New Orleans and I thank you for your request to stop. I attend the Baptist Seminary there and I love that city very much. Although there is a great deal of sin, I cannot say there is more than anywhere else. It is simply hidden better in other cities. Obviously, the larger the city, the more sin there will be. But we are all sinners and there is no sin that is greater than another. So the homosexual down on Bourbon street is no more guilty of sin than I am for lying to my mom about hoqw much money I have in my bank account. The best way to show the lost of that city the love of Christ is not to tell them everything they have was destroyed because of their sin. It is to help them in this desperate time of need.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

Wow, Patricia. thanks for your post. Are you doing ok? Have you found a place to stay and are you getting the help you need?

3:00 PM  
Blogger jimmy said...

I just came back from a relief trip. I'm happy to say that not all Christians feel that this is God's judgment. Many of the people that are getting down "in the trenches" are people from small churches that are tired of doing nothing. I was one of them, I had to do something. I'm so glad I did. It was really eye opening. I blogged about it at www.relief-report.blogspot.com.

grace and peace, jimmy

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home