Tuesday, June 29, 2004

"sunken treasure"

I'm speaking this weekend at Riverview on God's Will. And I've been thinking a lot about how people want to know God's will, they want a sign, or an impression that tells this to do this or that etc... It seems that we are looking for supernatural guidance, when so much supernatural guidance has already been given (see "the Good Book"). We want to touch heaven, we want a miricle right now before our eyes. But that got me to thinking that maybe our world is all backwards. I mean, if you think about it, the miracle has happened. That God created the world and that things work (realizing the FALL). Maybe this is the magic. Maybe when God does do something supernatural, that is going back to the normative state, pre-creation. The miracle stops? for a second while God intervenes. I'm not sure where my thoughts are on this exactly right now. I'm still thinking about it a lot.

Here are some thoughts from the book Orthadoxy, by G.K. Chesterton.

“A child kicks his legs rhythmically through excess, not absence of life. Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say “Do it again”; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, “Do it again” to the sun; and every evening, “Do it again” to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. IT may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we. The repetition in nature may not be a mere recurrence; it may be a theatrical encore. Heaven may encore the bird who laid an egg...”

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautifull!

~Trevor

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

read Miracles by CS Lewis. He has an idea similar to that, except he flips it around and calls miracles the new creation. Or something to that effect.

SEAN

12:36 AM  
Blogger Tim P. said...

exactly sean, when I read this, I remembered Lewis saying something to the same effect, except with opposite language--God never encores Himself. Of course, He seems to love contraries, but I suppose the Divine can do that sort of thing.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

cool, I'll have to check out Miracles. That's one of the very few Lewis books that I haven't read. Good stuff.

Andy, yeah, I just read that article yesterday. One of the best articles I've read by RS. I love it that his ten year old kid is in a band and that they wrote a song about not liking school that goes something like "everybody has something they don't wanna do..." Awesome.

11:46 PM  
Blogger CFaith said...

On what you were saying about people wanting some earth shattering sign to find God's will for their life:
I was one of those people. I wanted to be a teacher, but that was my back-up plan. I really wanted to do what God wanted me to do! I looked so hard for signs that I now believe weren't there. But I changed my major and ended up with an undergrad degree in business because I thought I had seen signs pointing that way. I started working and I hated it! I had never let go of my inner desire to work with kids and I was very active with our youth ministry. Suddenly one day it dawned on me, this longing to be a teacher and work with kids and show God's love to children who may never see it WAS my sign and it's all I needed. I'm finishing my masters in education now to fulfill my dream.

9:08 PM  
Blogger CFaith said...

Hey Dan, I don't mind if you quote me. My name is Candice by the way. I pray your message goes well! :)

4:13 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

awesome man. Looking forward to it. Hey we won't be in town next week, but we are planning on stopping by for a few days around the 27th and 28th. Will you guys be moved in by then?

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home