Friday, June 11, 2004

Why not 3rd base?

I posted on my Xanga site about why we named our kid Jaden Catcher, but I thought I'd reexplain it since I've been getting questions about it.

First of all, yes I played baseball.
Second, no we didn't name him "Catcher" because he has strong knees and a knack for calling signals.

Cather is from J.D. Salinger's book "Catcher in the Rye." You probably had to read it in high School. Holden Caufield, the protaganist of the book, explains to his sister what he wants to be when he grows up.

"You know that song 'if a body catch a body coming through the rye'.? I'd like-"

"It's 'if a body meet a body coming throught they rye'!" old Phoebe said. "It's a poem by Robert Burns."

"I know it's a poem by Robert Burns."

She was right though. It is 'if a body meet a body coming through the rye." I didn't know it then, though.

"I thought it was 'if a body catch a body,'" I said. "Anyway, I keep pictureing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around--nobody big, i mean--except me. And I"m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff--I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewheere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd like to be."

That passage just get's me going because I feel like that is kinda our job as Christ followers. I know so many people who sacrifice for others and I want my life to be like that and i know that Suz and I want our son to be like that. We are to be concerned about what really matters...People! I think Holden is right so many times in the book where he calls out the "phonieness" of striving for happiness in material things.

So that's why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home