Saturday, June 05, 2004

Church and Building

Our church is too big for our building. Our building that looks like a resort with our faux stone front with our comfy couches and neutral colored walls. We need some art in here for one thing.

Today we have a 4 hour meeting about our building. Everyone is cramped. There are only two offices in this building etc... But for some reason I find myself not caring too much about it today. I'm fine with whatever they decide. I mean, I would care if they turned it into the Lansing version of WillowCreek or some baptist church. In fact I've spent two years in college on a ministry team. In that span of time I spent time in about 200 baptist churches. I grew up in a church that met in a school for 15 years. I went to a mega-church in Akron for a couple years. And I've always found people there that have been "church" to me. The building has had so little to do with my faith that it's really hard to want to spend time thinking about this.

Of course, I know I'm just tired and cranky and selfish. Because to be kind to people we should be able to fit them into a building where they can worship together.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo man art....hummm...I just might know someone...he likes transformers and teaches High school now! He fixes vaccums and has a moving van! What would you like to see done?
~Joey

PS. The confines of a building don't make the church. In fact the church is the believing body of Christ...not some building of brick and wood. I am with you Dan....there isn't anything to worry about because if it is from God, then it will happen plain and simple. :o)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

Dude, I seriously need to talk to you about art in the church building. are you working this summer? If not, we should get together for breakfast sometime soon.

10:56 AM  
Blogger jimi said...

i am totally tracking with the motivation of what you are saying here. but... i was wondering - what did you mean by the Willow/Baptist comment - building wise? i just don't think i get it.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

Yeah, that was really unclear. Um...hmmm....

willowcreek----new trendy boomerish building, exercise room...
baptist----fellowship hall, sunday school, etc....

does this help?

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
I am serious...and I can do something this summer no problem. I am totally done with teaching as of Wednesday of this week...that is my last day. We can meet for breakfast anytime after that. Pick a day, and call me and we'll do it up ;o)

~Joey

12:52 AM  
Blogger Noel Heikkinen said...

Joey-

You owe me a beer, if I remember correctly? Are you and Dan having an affair on me? How dare you!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Noel...not cheating on you ;o) Hey I am free after Wednesday to meet whenever...so let's do it up Noel!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home