Saturday, June 11, 2005

Music For The People

I don't listen to much so-called "worship music." Maybe I shouldn't say that becuase I'm the Music guy here at Riverview. But it's honestly hard to find music that isn't trite, cliche, uninteresting, doctrinally incorrect and un-sing-able. I have found some songs from individual churches that I have heard ("At Your Feet" is from Mars Hill in Seattle, "Tower" is from Journey in Oklahoma)So I am encouraging the bands at Riverview to write songs for our people. I think it's our job as God's creation to mimic Him in a way, to be "little creators", to "sing to the Lord a new song", to create art. This may mean we start singing songs that are dark and questioning like many of the Psalms, it may mean that different genres are explored (country? heavy metal?). It may mean that some of the songs take a longer time to "learn" for those of us singing along. But I'm hoping it will mean music that we won't get tired of after three times singing. I'm hoping it will mean lyrics that are true but not necessarily what you'd expect. I'm hoping that when people hear the new songs they think of God and how creative God is and how loving he is for allowing us to "follow in His footsteps."

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

If I could ever stop writing and then scrapping stuff for a song, I might get one actually written. I write something, and then the next day I'm like, "ah, that sucks, I need to change that." I'm making progress with my latest one though...

11:01 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

Thanks! It's fun.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Trev Diesel said...

Dan - keep being a voice that calls for CREATIVE Worship Music for it's sorely needed in the church.

Speaking of, have you seen this: http://www.anewkindofchristian.com/archives/000431.html ??

8:15 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

Yeah Trev, I really like what he has to say on that subject. There is also an "Unathorized Postscript" to that, on the same site, written by one of my old professors, Dr. Mortenson who actually is the one who got me to read the book that I recommended above.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home