Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Flying

So today I left Noel and Steve in Minneapolis with all the other big wigs from GCA and GCM. I've only flown a handful of times in my life and this was my first time flying alone.

For some reason I was a little bit nervous. I felt that I was going to forget something (like my boarding pass) or that I wouldn't make it past security, or my flight would be cancelled and my phone would die and I would be stranded at the airport, begging for food, sleeping at gate C12. None of this happened of course, being an adult I can get through the details of life decently well (better when Suz is around). But all in all everything worked out. I was just a bit lonely.

It would be so weird to be some business dude who had to fly solo around the country all the time, strange airports, strange people sitting next to you who snore on the plane, turbulance. Interacting with people doesn't come too easily for me anyway. I really don't usually care to chit chat and am somewhat shy at first. People don't realize that because I'm on the stage every week at church, but it's a whole 'nother ball game when you are alone in a different city.

Anyway, it's good to be home. The conference was nice. It was good to meet some people. It was great to hang out with Noel and Steve And Mark Bowen and be the "bad kids." We went and shot pool, drank and smoked some wonderful cigars. Mark is a really great guy. Wise, encouraging, easy to talk to and very funny. He would fit in well around here (not saying that we are all these things, just that we like people who are).

Well, Suzanne has a funny story to tell me, so I'm going to get off the computer here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Noel Heikkinen said...

You want nervous?

I have to room with Steve without you to keep him in line.

11:30 PM  
Blogger jimmy said...

AAAHHHHH.....Nothing like getting away from the congregation to smoke a good cigar. Can't wait to hear about the topic of church consumerism from the conference.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Dan Price said...

Dang it! I already forget what the funny story is. I do have a funny story from the conference, but I don't want to post it on here because it could hurt someone's feelings.
Jimi, yeah about the conference talks. It's probably not worth it to use a whole post to discuss it. Basically Mark Darling, Mark Bowen and Brent Knox spoke at different times and came from different angles of things. They seemed to lay out a decent foundation to the talks, but since this was a very conversational conference (with about 25 guys there) it felt like the discussion centered on practicals and details of specific churches instead of philosophy of ministry stuff.
The best part of the conference was seeing some disagreement between those three pastors with where the line of being cultural and counter/cultural. It's good to see people struggle with that issue because it's impossible to escape in America. It's just "how far do I go?"

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Doing the "business dude" thing isn't as bad as it sounds. Being exposed to that many new people every day from all around the country, you at least get some funny stories.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home