Friday, August 06, 2004

Impressions are Impressions!

Here is a great passage from "Decision Making and the Will of God by Garry Freisen. I think it's possible that "God's inward peace leading us" just may be an unbiblical lie that many people (and I have believed it in the past) believe. I haven't really seen anyone back it us scripturally though, besides taking a verse out of context. I'd love some response. I know this is a touchy subject for people and don't want to claim to have the corner on truth, but I would really like for someone to show me why we can make decisions based on some inner feeling of peace.

Chapter 8
"since peace is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22), it is viewed by many as one of the means at His disposal to communicate His will to the believer.

This concept is based primarily on the exhortation of Colossians 3:15 "And let the peace of Christ rul in your hearts..." The explanation is that this peace functions as an umpire that "calls" each decision in question. So long as the believer is living within the center of God's will, he experiences and inner quietness of heart "which surpasses all comprehension" (Philippians 4:7). Through this peace the Umpire is calling "Safe!" But if the Christian begins to move in the wrong direction, he experiences increasing restlessness and inner anxiety--an indication that he is about to step "out of bounds."
It is not difficult to see the logic of this explanation, and it corresponds beautifully with the other aspects of the traditional view of guidance. Unfortunately, it dos not correspond with the rest of the passage of which it is a part, and we suspect that the apostle Paul would be surprised to learn that his statement to the Colossians was being explained in such a way. For he was not writing about God's provision for decision making, but rather a moral lifestyle that is consistent with the believer's position in Christ.
The statement "let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts" is part of a paragraph that runs from verses 12 through 17 in Colossians 3. That paragraph begins with an exhortation for believers to "put on" certain virtues: compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forbearance, forgiveness, and above all, love, "which is the perfect bond of unity"(3:14). These virtues are to replace discarded vices such as immorality, greed, anger, abusive speech, lying, and the like (3:5-11)...Rather Christians are to be characterized by unity--a unity that will grow spontaneously as Christians put on the garments of love (3:12-14), submit to the peace of Christ (3:15), share the word of Christ (3:16), and do all things with thanksgiving in the name of the Lord Jesus (3:17).

2 Comments:

Blogger CFaith said...

Yeah, that "inner peace is like an umpire" think sounds like a bunch of crap to me. One can be perfectly in the will of God and not experience peace. Why would, in the same chapter, God also give us patience and perserverence? If our decision was within God's will for our life and we had "inner peace like an umpire that calls safe", then why would we need perserverence and patience?
There are lots of times, I believe, that what is God's will for my life does not result in peace. While I was waiting for God's timing to go back to school full time, I was a at a job I hated. I firmly believe it was God's will for me to stay at that job. I actually tried rather hard to find another job and more than once it didn't work out. (Not that I went through the process and didn't get the job, but circumstances were such that it was clear I wasn't supposed to be doing that. Like my brand new car dying on the way to an interview.) Anyway, I was within God's will for my life, but I was not at peace, I needed patience and perserverence more than anything as I awaited God's timing to get out of there!

7:49 PM  
Blogger CFaith said...

I hate it when people post without spell checking! So sorry I just did it too!!

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home